Well it is that time of year again. I am going streaking and want you all to go with me. First off–it’s not what you think. Last year I was a few miles from a goal and decided to Holiday Streak my way to the end of the year–50 straight days of running [reference here first—then here]. I did and swore that I would never do it quite like that again. This year I have decided to do it exactly like that again–ain’t so good at learnin stuff.
Starting Tuesday the Holiday Streak begins. That is 50 straight days to the end of the year.
Currently my ytd mileage sits at 746. I think i might be able to top it at 850 for the year. This would be 50 over my year goal which would be awesome.
If you are on the fence as to whether you should do this let me offer a few nuggets of wisdom I learned from last year.
1. Set loose rules for yourself to follow. I reserve the right to run only one mile to call it a run. This won’t be the norm but you gotta have an out on those 12 hour work days when it’s 10 degrees outside.
2. If you can’t get out for a run then go for a walk. Remember the key to this Holiday Streak is about getting out and just getting it done.
3. Yes. Treadmills and ellipticals count.
4. Find running buddies out of this. Last year I started running with my neighbor and we still run together every week.
5. Do it however you want but do something during the Holidays.
Why you doing this Mark?
Great question. I run all year and take it easy in the Holidays only to find that I have gained about 5 pounds. Then I spend the most difficult running month of the year 5 pounds heavier. The Holiday Streak prevents this. It allows me to eat pretty much whatever I like and not put on the extra bag of sugar. I should note here that I will be suspending my VB6 for the rest of the year as well but fret not–I’m hitting the Vegan life with force in Jan.
So my friends. Who wants to do this with me? Strap on the Brooks and go for a run in the cold. Every day til 2014?
I will update via twitter @markallenwhite often enough to not be obnoxious.